A Travellerspoint blog

day four // concerting at night

cut copy at the music box

50 °F
View los//las on famousjenn's travel map.

So a while back, I decided that I needed to go to a concert while in L.A. I mean this place is supposed to be some big musical epicenter, so they must have some good shows every night, right? Right. So I saw that the Australian band Cut Copy was playing just down the street on Hollywood Blvd at the the Music Box at Fonda Theatre. They were scheduled to play Tuesday and Wednesday night, and thankfully I bought my ticket before the trip for Tuesday, because BOTH nights were sold out by the time I got here!

I rested up from my trip to the beach, ate some leftovers from the night before with Eric and Justin, and changed into my cool new concert clothes. Doors were supposed to be @8.30pm but by the time I got there the first act, Matt and Kim, were already on stage. The place was full, but still not uber packed the way I expected it to be. Matt and Kim weren't totally my kind of music, but they were fun. I stayed to the back, by the bar, so I wouldn't get crushed with the dancers and so that I could have a good view of the stage. It worked well!


Finally Cut Copy came out! Their stage set was cool. They had these big lights that looked like long flourescent bulbs... but actually they were LCD or something because they flashed all different colors. It really went well with their fun dance music! So it was fun. I was dancing. Everyone was happy and enjoying themselves. They had been playing for about 40-50 minutes. When they started one song, I noticed the house lights in the back were turned all the way up. I thought that was strange. Then they are finishing the song, sort of going into a jam session of sorts, when the stage curtain starts to go down. They abruptly stop playing and one of the guys says something like, "Sorry guys. We don't want to but they are making us stop. Bye." Then all the house lights turn on. People start chanting for them to come back out. Everyone is confused. It's then that I turn around to the back and see two fire department guys with their big hard hats on coming through the door. The curtain goes up again. Cut Copy is up there sans instruments. They say again that they're very sorry but someone called in the club for being over capacity. What??? Over capacity??? Number one, what kind of freak of nature calls something like that into the police and fire? Number two, how do they even know that it is true? Number three, isn't this a cool, anything goes kinda town? Number four... Remember what I said earlier that the place didn't even seem that crowded for being sold out? WTF?

So then, I decide to get out before we get thrown out. I picked up a poster that I had bought earlier in the evening. I asked the guy if the upstairs afterparty was still on. He didn't know. My guess was "no" since they were clearing it out. So I decided to do the next best thing... Find the bus and wait for autographs!

I probably waited around 1.5 to 2 hours for the band to finally come out from backstage. I'm sure they were dealing with a lot of stuff back there so I understand that. The one thing I don't understand is where all the other fans were! There was only one little gay guy and two younger girls waiting with me. Eventually the girls left because it was getting late and it was rather chilly at this point. Finally, Tim came out first. He was so nice and felt so horrible about the evening. I was just happy to get his autograph. Haha. I told him that I would look into getting tickets for Las Vegas since I was going to be there when they were there as well. He said not to bother with that, to give him my name, and he would put me on the list! Yay! Jenny and I will be going to HOB Vegas on Friday to see them again. Hopefully without interruption. Haha.

Finally the other two guys and all their friends came out. I got my autographs and headed home. Still ended up a good night... Just a little unexpected. I obviously don't blame the band for what I happened but I do know this... NEVER EVER GO TO THE MUSIC BOX FOR A CONCERT!!!!! NEVER!!!! They can't keep track of their ticket sales AND they made me throw out my gum when I got to the door (not allowed inside). Boo.

Posted by famousjenn 15:35 Archived in USA Tagged events Comments (0)

day four // the beach life

santa monica and the pier

sunny 68 °F
View los//las on famousjenn's travel map.

I was hoping to wake up early enough on Tuesday to make the free shuttle offered by the hostel, but unfortunately, I was just too tired for it. I eventually got going and took two buses over to the coast.

Oh. My. Gosh. Santa Monica was sooooo beautiful. Ah. First I took a look around the 3rd Street Promenade, where they have blocked off the entire street for a shopping district. Really really pretty. Then I went up 4th Street to a couple of cool vintage stores. These vintage stores also sell some new, unique clothes. I found a couple of items to put on hold but decided later that I was too tired to go back to buy them! Oh well.


Then I went over to the pier and it was great! I walked along the beach and pier and took lots of photos. I can't imagine how nice it would be to be able to go somewhere like this every weekend. Sigh. There were little shops and eateries along the pier. Plus, artists and musicians line the pier so it's fun to watch them as well. The aquarium was there too and I thought about going but didn't want to take more time. They also have a small amusement park on the pier, but it didn't look fully operational yet. Still gearing up for the summer season.


I was hungry and got a hotdog with cheese, fries and a coke... for almost $12. Little expensive here. As I was leaving, there was a group of girls on some sort of tour. One girl was talking to this guy on the other side of me. I kept walking, slightly annoyed with them being dumb teenagers, until I heard her say, "Are you really him???" He nodded. She screamed and asked for a photo with him. I kept watching the whole thing, but I'm not really sure who it was! I think it could have been Ashton Kutcher, but geez, it was hard to tell. All the other girls kept coming up to him and asking for photos so he WAS somebody. Just not somebody that I could easily recognize. Haha. I stopped for chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone and then headed back to town. I was sad to leave such a pretty area. Hopefully, next time, I'll get to see some of the other beach communities.


Posted by famousjenn 13:47 Archived in USA Tagged postcards Comments (0)

day three // blue mondays

80s/indie/electro music night at boardner's in hollywood

58 °F
View los//las on famousjenn's travel map.

That night, I was pretty worn out. But I still hadn't been out to a club or bar in L.A. and I felt like the time was right. So I got myself together and walked a couple of blocks over to Boardner's on Cherokee for their 80s/indie rock/electro music night. I got there about 10.30 and the place was pretty dead. I thought I would at least order one drink and if things didn't get better I would take off after that. By the way, my standard Bombay Sapphire with tonic cost $11. Eeek.

So I walked around and they had two rooms. One was straight 80s pop. The other was DJ mixed dance tunes. Both were good, but I was a bit self conscious being by myself. All of a sudden this girl came up to me and introduced herself as Angie. I told her my story of being all alone and she said that she is an airline attendant and is always having to go out in different cities all alone. She said that she wanted me to join her and her friends and that they would take care of me. Alright!

After that we danced and danced and danced. All her friends were so nice. And by midnight the place was actually packed. Sometimes I would leave them to see what was happening in the other room and I tried to request Little Boots or the Ting Tings from the DJ. But he didn't have them. I did talk to him and his manager a bit and they were really cool as well. Told me about the music scene there and what they're doing. Interesting stuff!

Finally, the club was closing around 2am and I headed home. Angie and her friends were going to Denny's or some other greasy spoon for drunk food but I was tired and decided to just head home. The one guy kept calling me a rookie. Ha!!!

PS - It goes without saying that there were ridulously eccentric as well as hipper than hip hipsters there. And they did represent the CLE with a remix of Kid Cudi's Day and Night. Suh-weet.


Posted by famousjenn 13:12 Archived in USA Tagged events Comments (0)

day three // come on down...

the price is right taping

semi-overcast 68 °F
View los//las on famousjenn's travel map.

I finished up my shopping and headed over to CBS Studios. You have to show your ticket and ID just to get passed the guards at the gate. It was close to 11.30am when I went to check in. They marked my Audiences Unlimited ticket as number "6" and told me to come back around 12.30pm. I didn't really want to go anywhere so I stayed there in the waiting area and looked around at the CBS gift shop.

By 12.30pm the place had FILLED UP with Price Is Right hopefuls. People were excitedly talking and yelling. There were a few groups wearing matching bright colored tee shirts as well as others in home made "pick me" type shirts. I totally forgot how people did that but I had on my Ohio "heart of it all" shirt.

Finally they called us up by different groups and we sat in order on two rows of facing benches around the corner. They gave us our name tags and individual numbers. I was number 117. In front of me was another contestant all alone, Joseph, from Long Island NY. He had been in town on vacation, sight seeing for a week or so, and was headed back home on a 9pm flight. On the other side of me were two friends, Eric and Justin, who were entertainers and corporate event planners. They started their own business a few years ago and now even live next door to each other. They were really really funny guys and pretty soon, all four of us were having fun in line.

And that was a good thing... especially since the previous show ran late and we were stuck in line for probably 5 hours!!! The wait was pretty horrible, and honestly wore me out a bit. The interviewed each of us in groups of about a dozen and also took a picture of us. Once we got inside, I got my energy back! The studio is overwhelming in its retro flower power madness, but it is also much smaller than you would think. They decided where we sat, and when looking at the stage, we were off to the far right, just in front of the announcer.

They were playing disco music and everyone was up, dancing and clapping. They went over our responsibilities as contestants and audience members and we were ready to get started. It was crazy because it was sooooo loud in there that you actually cannot hear the announcer at all. When they call your name they also have a guy on stage with cue cards. And that's how my brand new line standing friend, Eric, found out that he was to "come on down!!!!!" Yes, Eric was sitting next to me and got called to contestant row. We were so excited!

I think he won the second round of bidding and went on stage for his game. Again, in the audience, it's hard to hear and you have signs and people telling you when to cheer. Eric had some half price game, where they give you two items with prices above them. You have to guess which one has the full price above it and which one has the half price above it. It was very difficult and the three of us left in the audience tried our best to help. We had to watch the monitors up above our heads to even see what he was bidding on. The cameras were in our faces the whole time so I'm sure we're all over the TV at this point.

Unfortunately, Eric didn't win his game, so next we were keeping our fingers crossed for the spin off. He got 60 cents first and decided to spin again. He came close to the dollar but ended up with 80 cents. Not great, but not horrible either. The two girls that spun after him went over a dollar!!! Eric was in the final showcase. Unbelievable.

So we finished up the second half of the show, but we were just anxiously awaiting the showcase. It was really funny because Justin, Eric's friend, was so jealous. It was his idea to come there to begin with and he really wanted to be on the show. But he was still happy for his friend of course. Between each contestant, Drew Carey was sweet and chatted with the audience a lot. He was recently ill with pneumonia, so he talked about that and the tv show Lost that he watched while recuperating. Haha. He also talked about In-and-Out Burger's secret menu that you can find online. I'm looking into that!

Finally, the showcase. Eric was the lesser winner so the woman he was bidding against got the chance to pass. And she did. Eric's showcase was some expensive looking hot tub jacuzzi thing, a new bedroom set with new mattress, and a line of designer women's clothing. The three stooges in the audience tried helping Eric again, but we had no idea. My thought was $15,000 bucks. Eric bid $17,500. I was worried.

The woman's showcase was a trip to Lake Tahoe in a private jet, $2,000 cash plus other stuff for the trip and a new boat. She bid something like $38,000. The other two thought she was way over but I thought she was close.

They took a break and Eric pointed out me, Justin and Joseph to be his friends on stage if he won. OMG! I couldn't believe this was happening! So then they were back. We couldn't believe it but Eric was actually under the retail price of his showcase... Wayyyyyy under. By around $17000 dollars. Oh no. Our only hope was that the woman was over her price. Drew went to her, and said that she was going to be really disappointed... Because she was over. By $1,000 dollars.

What? Eric won!!!!!!!! Before we knew it, there was a camera in our faces again. A crew member was motioning for us to run up on stage and we did! We jumped around and hugged Eric. We were standing by the bath tub with the models. So exciting. Then someone said, "Why don't you check out your bedroom set?" We ran over and jumped on the bed. Drew came over and started throwing the designer dresses on all of us. It was great. I didn't know what to do but I kept telling Eric how amazing it was and waving at the camera. I know I looked like a dork but I don't care!!! The taping will air March 27th.

Afterwards, Joseph had to run to catch his flight. I hope he made it! It was almost 7.30pm and his flight left at 9pm. Then Eric had a lot of paperwork to fill out. Once he was done, he took me and Justin out to dinner at Maggionno's. We had a really nice time. All the people saw us with our name tags on and the conversation usually went like this: "Did you get on the show?" "Yeah-huh." "Really? Did you win anything?" "Um, yeah." "Really, what?" "Um... the whole thing!"

After that they guys dropped me off at the hostel and we exchanged info. They were so nice. I really hope to keep in touch with them. What a great day!!!


Posted by famousjenn 13:08 Archived in USA Tagged tourist_sites Comments (0)

day three // shopping the morning away

farmers market and the grove

semi-overcast 65 °F
View los//las on famousjenn's travel map.

So Monday was a big day... Needed to prep for my hopeful Price Is Right experience. But, in the morning, I decided to check out the LA Farmer's Market (oldest in the city, I think) and the shopping center called The Grove. The girls in my room were going to see a Dr. Phil taping and at first, I agreed to go. But in the morning when they were getting ready, I realized that staying there and keeping to my original plan was best. It turned out that I made the right decision because their taping ran late and I never would have made it to TPIR on time. And I'm so glad I did...

But first things first. I hopped the 780 Bus at Hollywood and Vine. It took me east down Hollywood and south on Fairfax to the corner of 3rd Street, right where the Market begins. It was a very cool outdoor market, with fresh meats, cheeses, baked goods, nuts, fruit and other foods. Plus there were a few little delis, counter style restaurants, smoothie, yogurt and donut shops. Yummmmm. I broke down and bought a pineapple and pear juice smoothie. OMG. I never knew those flavors would be so good together!!! I must try them again when I get home.


There was also a vintage store with really unique antiques. It was interesting because they must find and buy old lots from defunct manufacturers because many of the items were in multiples. I almost bought a vintage sticker set for The Ringling Bros circus for my dad, but I thought he would like something with Hollywood on it instead. No matter, I hope that little store is still there when I visit again because next time I will buy something! I also couldn't resist a little jewelry store because they had really unique, artist-made items. They had many expensive pieces costing up to a few hundred dollars. I bought two of their cheapie necklaces but they don't look it. Score! :)


After I had enough of all the lovely food smells, I walked over to The Grove for more shopping!!! You truly can shop til you drop in this town. It just never ends. The Grove is basically a big outdoor mall, like Crocker Park... But much more glamorous architecture. I wasn't all that impressed with it. Not too many stores that we don't have back home or that you wouldn't find in a normal big city shopping area. But, it was still nice to check out!


After that, time for CBS studios...

Posted by famousjenn 20:04 Archived in USA Tagged shopping Comments (0)

(Entries 6 - 10 of 15) « Page 1 [2] 3 »